This laboratory is equipped with testing machines able to perform a great number of mechanical tests, namely tensile, low- and high-cycle fatigue, thermomechanical fatigue, crack propagation, creep and stress relaxation tests up to 1200°C.
Tests are usually performed on samples, according to international standards. In order to meet the requests coming from industrial partners, a system able to stress components with complex geometry was set.
Alloys of interest to industry are tested, such as nickel based superalloys (either polycrystalline or single crystal), intermetallics (TiAl), titanium alloys, oxide-dispersion-strengthened (ODS) alloys, low- and high-alloyed steels, stainless steels, copper alloys. Tests on pure metals, such as copper or nickel, are performed for research purposes.
Materials interesting to industry are usually serviced in the energy area, in particular in power generation (gas turbine, nuclear plants), in aviation or in advanced manufacturing.
- Two servo-hydraulic testing machines up to 200 kN and 100 kN for low-cycle fatigue tests and thermomechanical fatigue tests in air and in vacuum up to 1200°C (induction heating system);
- One servo-hydraulic testing machine up to 100 kN for low-cycle fatigue tests and crack propagation tests in air and in vacuum up to 1000°C;
- One servo-hydraulic testing machines up to 100 kN for fatigue tests on components;
- One electromechanical testing system up to 100 kN for fatigue tests in air up to 1000°C;
- Three electromechanical testing machines up to 50 kN for tensile, creep and stress relaxation tests in air up to 1200°C;
- Fifteen creep testing machines working up to 30 kN and 1200°C;
- Two machines for rotating bending fatigue tests;
- Durometer for Vickers, Rockwell and Brinell hardness tests;
- Two muffle furnaces for heat treating up to 1200°C.