This laboratory is equipped with software and instrumentation for the design and the characterisation of functional elements, prototypes and devices.
The lab allows the set-up of non-conventional experimental test benches for different applications by the combined use of facilities such as: Labview-controlled virtual machines, AC/DC voltage or current sources, cooling systems, thermostatic baths, a thermostatic/climatic chamber, load cells and linear/rotary displacement transducers.
In addition, a workshop for the machining of mechanical parts as by turning and milling is available for the preparation of holders, supports or components used in the implementation of special experimental set-ups complementing the standard characterisation machines.
Furthermore, software including 2D/3D CAD systems, Comsol Multiphysics, Labview and Matlab, is frequently used for the design, the simulation, the control of the devices and the analysis of signals and bio-signals.
In addition, the lab includes a 3D printer for fabricating components of actuators, sensors and devices in ABS co-polymer.
- Solid works
- COMSOL Multiphysics
- Cad 2D
- potentiometric, laser and wired displacement transducers (ranging from 1mm to hundreds of millimeters)
- National Instruments modules for signal acquisition and control with Labview software
- Sunrise ACS Thermostatic/Climatic chamber and thermostatic baths (Lauda Ecoline RE306 and Lauda RC20)
- AC/DC power sources
- Eurotherm devices for data logging
- Dimension Elite – Stratasys 3D ABS+ printer (layer of 0,178 mm or 0,254 mm and maximum dimension of 203 x 203 x 305 mm
- Standard equipment for electrical/electronic circuit design and ISOTECH IDS-6072A-U oscilloscope
A. Nespoli, D. Rigamonti, E. Villa, F. Passaretti
Design, characterization and perspectives of shape memory alloy elements in miniature sensor proof of concept
Sensors and Actuators A 218 (2014) 142–153
A. Nespoli, V. Dallolio, F. Stortiero, S. Besseghini, F. Passaretti, E. Villa
Design and thermo-mechanical analysis of a new NiTi shape memory alloy fixing clip
Materials Science and Engineering C, 37 (2014) 171–176
S. Viscuso, L. Garavaglia, S Pittaccio
Digital image-based method for quality control of residual bending deformation in slender pseudoelastic NiTi devices
Advances in Science and Technology, 78: 75-80, Proceedings of CIMTEC 2012, Montecatini
S. Viscuso, S. Pittaccio
Design and implementation of a portable amagnetic shape memory rotary actuator
2012, Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, 24:454-72
S Pittaccio, S Viscuso, S Besseghini
Rotational Actuator, Brevetto internazionale WO/2011/141183
A. Nespoli, E. Bassani, E. Villa, F. Passaretti
Progettazione di micro-dispositivi smart e realizzazione di alcuni prototipi mediante tecnologia 3D print
NUM. 2013/001 - PROT. 16693 DEL 05/06/2013
E. Borlandelli, D. Scarselli, A. Nespoli, D. Rigamonti, P. Bettini, M. Morandini, E. Villa, G. Sala, M. Quadrio
Design and experimental characterization of a NiTi-based, high-frequency, centripetal peristaltic actuator
Smart Materials and Structures (2015) 10.1088/0964-1726/24/3/035008
- A. Nespoli, D. Rigamonti, E. Villa, F. Passaretti
- Politecnico di Milano, Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Aerospaziali
- INAF-OAB (Merate)